Sunday, October 25, 2009

#27 - MS

Interesting because my #27's initials are the same as the disease that she has.  MS which stands for Multiple Sclerosis.  She has been a patient of mine on and off since she has been 21 years old.  She is now 26.  She was diagnosed with MS when she was 19 years old and has had several acute episodes followed by periods of remission.  When she has an episode, she regresses quickly from a walking functioning twenty-something to a wheelchair bound patient who often cannot lift her arms above her head.  She has had to have a pain pump surgically placed in her stomach to help her deal with chronic muscle pain.  She finished high school and use to work in food service.  She now cannot keep a job because of the chronic fatigue assosciated with her disease.  She lives with her parents because she does not have the strength to maintain a home on her own.  She continues to return to our office when she needs OT or PT because she knows that we will always treat her with respect and dignity.  She does not always get this courtsey.  If you do not know her and do not know all that she has to deal with on a daily basis, you might take one look at her and dismiss her as odd.  She has several body piercings and often dresses in old ratty jeans and shirts that say, "Chicks dig me!"  I think she just wants to be noticed.

I cannot imaging living my life not knowing if tomorrow I may wake up with another lesion on my brain, if I will be able to walk, or if I will have to stay in bed all day because I just cannot find the strength to get up.  My job is often a reminder of all the good things in my life...my health included.

To find out more about multiple sclerosis, click here.

No comments: