Friday, October 9, 2009

#11 - My Nanny

Like stars that shine in the heavens
A godmother’s endless love
Lights the way for her godchild,
As the lord gives a nod from above
She was chosen because of her goodness
And too, for her gentle side
But also because her godchild,
Could view her with love and pride
For she is a perfect example
Of all that a person should be
A kind and a caring guardian
Standing by for eternity!



It wasn't until I had children of my own that I realized the importance of a godmother.  When Jeff and I went to our first-born's baptismal preparation, I remember the deacon asking us if we had chosen godparents.  We had.  He then asked us if our child's godparents attended mass every week.  Of course we said yes, but then had to think about it.  (side note:  Jonie and Darren, you passed).  The deacon went on the say that in the event that something would happen to us, we needed to be certain that said godparents would raise this child in the Catholic faith, the same as we intended to.



My godmother has always been "Nanny."  She is "Nanny" to me and to my brother and sister.  She has always been a constant in my life.  I can remember being very small and going to visit her in Baton Rouge.   I remember thinking how cool it was that she converted the front porch in one house into a sunroom and the garage in her next home into a playroom.  And, I remember that she made my wedding dress.  I mean really made it...front scratch!  (See below)



As an adult, she continues to support me.  She never forgets a birthday or holiday.  This past Easter season, she stopped by my office to drop off a prayer book with daily devotionals and she emailed me this website, which I have started checking and I love!  Thank you Nanny for always looking after me.

Key words:  teacher, aunt, support, hard-worker, no favor is too much to ask

No comments: