Being accepted to PT school meant moving from Lafayette to New Orleans where I did not know a soul... or so I thought. After I found out I was accepted, I remember being in Houma at a outdoor BBQ with a bunch of family friends. My mom was talking about me moving, and one of the people there mentioned to her that #29 lived in N.O. and may be looking for a roommate. Turns out she was about to kill her current roommate and she would be looking for a new one shortly. I was so grateful. I had known #29 most of my life, but we were not really friends in high school. She was a few years older than me and was a cheerleader. She was always the little one flipping off the top of the pyramid, and I can still see her on the sidelines leading the crowd in cheers like, "We got the wall! Yeah!Yeah!"
Anyway, we moved in together in an apartment complex in Metairie. At the time it was called Lincoln Court, but has since changed names a few times. It was so much nicer than my apartment in Lafayette (sorry Lisa). It was on the 3rd floor and we had a little red wagon we used to bring the groceries up. #29 was in dental school so we both spent a lot of time studying. Jeff and I became good friends with she and her boyfriend and we had a lot of laughs and good times. She let me tag along with her to aerobics class at the French Riveria Spa and to home cooked dinners at friend's houses in the big city. She definitely made my transition to New Orleans easy.
I remember one time we left the apt. to go work out. At the time, the French Riveria was at the top of the Sheraton high rise office building on the lake. We had to park in a parking garage and did not realize that the weather had gotten really bad when we were in there. When we left, we had to go up Causeway and down Vets to get back to our apt. We were in her little blue Honda Accord and when we were about 2 blocks from our house, we realized that we were in big trouble. The rain had fallen so fast and so hard that the entire area was flooded. We ended up getting stranded. She got water in the interior of her car up to the seats and we had to wade back in waist high water to our apartment. I mean really...how often does that happen?
As grown-ups, we are now both very busy in our own lives. She has 3 beautiful children and a thriving orthodontic practice. She recently brought her daughter in to see me for a gymnastics accident and I keep putting off bringing my kids to see her for some orthodontia. Our oldest kids are classmates this year so hopefully we will find ourselves in the same place at the same time more often.
11 years ago

1 comment:
Danna emailed me your Blog...what a great idea, but i can't figure out how you have the time every day! You are amazing! I forgot about that flooding incident, how funny!
Post a Comment