He doesn't say too much, but I can tell that his mind is always working. When I sit back and observe him, it almost seems to me as if he is not missing a thing, but only certain things are interesting enough for him to give them his attention.
His intelligence is evident by the way he is able to correctly answer colors, shapes, letters, and numbers all well before he has begun school. A funny story about this...earlier this year (which would make NC about 2 1/2 years old) I had the honor of babysitting this sweet boy for about 24 hours. My boys and I loved having him around because we really don't get to see him too often. Anyway, we were basically following him around the house and letting him lead us where ever he wanted. He made his way into Seth's room and we followed. On the back of Seth's bed, he has two wooden words that are used for his "sports - themed" decor. One says "Football" and the other one says "Baseball." Now, I have to stop the story right here and let everyone know that #264 is delayed in his speech. He can talk, but a lot of what he says is only understood by NC and occasionally his momma and daddy. That is not to say he is not verbal, just that we are not smart enough to understand what he is saying. Anyway, NC had been talking for awhile and we just were listening and not really understanding, but when we got to Seth's room, he stopped...looked at the bed...and started with gibba, bagta, jabit, mabyeit, and then F-O-O-T-B-A-L-L. Nice and slow, with proper annunciation on each letter. Zachary and I were the closest and we just stared at him with our mouths open. He did not go as far as to pronounce the word, but he was definitely able to spell it correctly. He then moved on to B-A-S-E-B-A-L-L in the same manner. Like I said...a lot more to this kid than meets the eye.
As I've told my sister before, some things that may initially seem strange or different may actually be unrealized brillance. Those of you who keep up with Sarah's blog (http://www.babynoahc.blogspot.com/) know that NC has a love for all things stick-like. Crayons, wands, make-up brushes, sticks etc. It usually doesn't matter the texture or color, but holding a solid object of the straight variety comforts him and makes him happy. Who are we to say that this is odd behavior? It is quite possible that it is nothing more than a sign that he is meant to be a musician. I gave him a set of Elmo drums for Christmas and with both drumsticks in hand, he got to banging right away. Or maybe an artist...a surgeon...a carpenter. All I'm saying is don't under estimate this kid...I think when all is said and done, he may have a thing or two to show us.
NC has brought joy to all of our lives and I am certain that he will continue to do so as he grows. Every child that I have ever met is different, even my three boys. I think I expected them to all be alike, but boy was I wrong. They each have their own personalities and their own way of doing things. NC will be no different. I think we are in for a surprise as he grows up. My sister sent me this article this past week and I hope that she doesn't mind if I include it.
http://abcnews.go.com/m/screen?id=10933858
It says so much about this young man, and it would not surprise me at all if 15 years from now, we are reading something similar about #264. I totally stole the following pictures from her blog, but since she talked me into this whole blogging thing... I'm calling them fair play.
Check out this cutie pie!
To quote Zachary on our last visit to see #264, "God, I love this kid!"






1 comment:
Thanks Nanny Aunt MO! So sweet! Dean and I love this post!!
Post a Comment