Wednesday, September 1, 2010

#336 - MMO

I have known MMO since high school, but we really did not become close friends until we started having kids.  Actually, I think we first started to connect around the time of the infamous "supper club" mentioned in post #331.  In fact, I remember standing at the sink, washing dishes with MMO and her saying, "Something doesn't feel right...do you think I may be in labor?"  To which I replied, "I have no idea...I didn't do labor."  Several hours later she and her husband welcomed a baby boy into this world.  Twelve years later, that baby boy is one of my kids best buds and our families are usually seen in each other's company most weekends of the year.

Over the years we have taken trips together, laughed together, and usually managed to have a great time no matter what we were doing.  We occasionally get hung up in the planning, and we finally realized that if we put MMO behind the wheel of the car it was much better than watching her turn green later.  They are pretty much up for anything we are up for which makes for good times all around.  But that is our families...

MMO is the friend that I can call for just about anything.  She is always up for a shopping trip, she and her daughter let me join in on girls day out, and she and her son love to join us for mom and sons day out.  She is the friend that I can call and vent to whenever the need strikes and I hope she knows how much I appreciate it.  Sometimes there is nothing like a girlfriend to share with.  That being said, I am not the most sentimental person that you will ever meet and I'm not really big on sharing my "feelings."  There are a lot of women out there who spend a lot of time getting their feelings hurt, then spend more time talking about it.  It is amazing how much time can be wasted talking about nothing of importance.  I would like to take this opportunity to thank #336 for not being that kind of friend.  Our talks usually start out with the basics...husbands and kids, and then move on to more interesting topics.  We often talk of all the things that we would like to do together... take a yoga class, start a prayer group, meet for a book club discussion.  None of these things have happened yet, but I know both of us and probably...one day...we will do those things.  But right now, we are both immersed in our families and in our work...in that order.  We find ways to have fun that revolves around our kids with some grown-up nights out thrown in just for balance.  I want #336 to know that I appreciate all the weekends she has planned and we have managed to connect on.  I know that there will be many more in our lifetime.  I vow to not let the details bog us down and prevent us from taking these times together.

In honor of my good friend #336, I copied and pasted this poem that she sent to me a while back.  It pretty much calls it like I see it and it makes me laugh every time I read it.

True Friends


Are you tired of those sissy 'friendship' poems that always sound
good, but never actually come close to reality? Well, here is a series
of promises that actually speak of true friendship.

You will see no cutesy little Smiley faces on this card - Just the
stone cold truth of our great friendship.

1. When you are sad --I will jump on the person who made you sad-like
a spider monkey jacked up on Mountain Dew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. When you are blue -- I will try to dislodge whatever is choking
you.

3. When you smile -- I will know you are plotting something that I
must be involved in.

4. When you're scared -- we will hightail it out of there.

5. When you are worried -- I will tell you horrible stories about how
much worse it could be until you quit whining, ya big baby!!!!

6. When you are confused -- I will use little words.

7. When you are sick --Stay away from me until you are well again. I
don't want whatever you have.

8. When you fall -- I'll laugh at your clumsy ass.

9. This is my oath...I pledge it to the end. 'Why?' you may ask --
because you are my FRIEND!

(And the last one that I added on my own)

10.  I will always hold your barf bag on whatever airplane we happen to be on...but I will never hold your hand!

She lucks out with the pictures because I couldn't find any from high school....

Me and MMO all decked out for a New Year's Eve Party!
(Sorry Dr. S...not about you :)


On a really fun trip to Vegas last year where MMO (and Sarah Sue Sue) cheered me on (in spirit) while I ran a 1/2 marathon down the Vegas strip, in 30 degree weather, at 6:00 am.  I mean...why couldn't they have come down to yell for me when I passed the hotel?????


But...she did (Santa) suit up for the Santa Run the day before!


And finally...last week when she took a little time away from work to help me deal with the fact that I am about to turn forty.  I was so sad all week, but MMO (and the margaritas) cheered me right up!

To my friend MMO who has noassatall as opposed to all my junk in my trunk. 
May we have many more fun times together!  Forty will not slow us down!

No comments: