Tuesday, September 28, 2010

#364 - DSB

(Author's note - For all of you who are really, really counting down with me, you may note a slight # change.  I am getting a year older, but I know that there are 365 days in one year.  Looking back, I did #272 twice, so I had to fix the numbers today)

#364 is a friend that wasn't always a friend.  Not because we didn't get along when we were younger, but because she is so old!  she is a little older and much more mature than me.  I'm trying to remember when we really became friends and I just don't really know.  I remember going over for home cooked meals at her house in N.O. when I lived with her sister...  Then when we both got married we did couple things together...  Then our first-borns are only four months apart...  Then they moved back to Houma and fast forward ten years or so and here we are. 

I may not remember when we became friends, but I know why we are friends now.  It basically boils down to this...we like the same stuff and we move at the same pace.  Over the years, it makes me laugh because our tastes are so similar.  I will buy something that I like (for example a new set of dishes) and then I'll see the same set in her kitchen.  She actually lives in the house that I really, really, really wanted to buy when Jeff and I were first trying to move out of our apartment (100 years ago).  We looked at it, but it was out of our price range at the time.  We both love to take trips, especially the kind that involve tennis or shopping, and we usually manage at least one per year.  Oh wait...it is coming back to me now.  I think we first bonded on a now defunct annual shopping trip to Mistletoe Marketplace in Jackson.  For those of you who have never attended, it is a great holiday gift show.  (Speaking of #364, it may be time for a return visit...)  We both were invited to go on this shopping weekend and we were roomies. 

Since then, we have managed to shop (and hit every TJ Maxx) til we drop from Houston to Florida and from New York to Miami.  We are both the kind of shoppers that can go into a store, take a quick scan of the merchandise, and determine the length of time we will need to stay in the store.  Since our tastes are so similar, I don't have to wait outside or browse and make friends with the storekeepers while #364 looks at something totally uninteresting to me...and vice versa.  Walk in...look around...select your items...try on if necessary...check out.  It really is a skill that we have perfected over time.  Some of you (especially my male readers) probably have no idea what I am talking about but there you go...

If we limit our trips to shopping only, both of us would be broke.  There have been times that we have had to leave packages in certain people's garages and get them on our next trip because all of our purchases would not fit in the car on the return flight.  Although I will say that we do hold the record for the most stuff in the least amount of time piled in the back of my sub.  But because we don't like to be totally broke..., we always try to factor in other activities besides just shopping.  For example, we have seen a ton of tennis.  It all started with Mattress Mack in Houston for the Clay Court Championships, then the end of the season Masters Tourney, and most recently a few years ago the Sony Ericsson Open in Miami.  We also made a trip up to the Big Apple to see the U.S. Open.  Quite an adventure taking the train to Flushing Meadows and trying to fit in touring the city while trying to catch some tennis.  #364 was actually with Jeff and I in NYC two days before the September 11th bombing.  We all flew out of Newark, NJ where one of the planes with the terrorists took off from.  When we got our pictures developed (back in the days of film) we had photos of the twin towers in the skyline.  A little to close for comfort for me!

While at these tournaments, we like to stalk the players, take paparazzi pictures, and still fit in some shopping in the tennis shops.  Speaking of paparazzi... I have #364 to thank for introducing me to my really cool camera and stalker lens.  She brought hers to the Miami tournament and I came back asking my hubby for the same for my Mother's Day gift.  On a trip years before I taught her all about ipods which she had to have once we returned home.  I like to think I keep her hip but... lol, I can't even type that with a straight face. :)

But shopping interests only does not this friendship make.  She always answers my crazy legal questions and in turn I promise to rehab her knee when she finally finishes blowing it out (see pictures below for full story).  I can always count on her to use all the legal words that she knows to write me a scary lawyer letter when I can't find the words to be mean enough myself.

Just a few weekends ago we had the chance to catch up on a fun tennis girls trip to Portofino in Pensacola.  Again for those of you who have not been there, it is really really nice...and not so crowed in September.

But the real reason that I am friends with #364 is that every year on my birthday, she makes me feel soooooooo good.  Without even really trying.  "How?" you may ask.  Is it because she gives me really cool gifts like a turquoise bag or a turquoise umbrella?  (her favorite color...not mine)  Nope, that's not the reason.  Is it because she always remembers to send me a really cool e-card?  Nope, that's not it either.  Can't guess?  OK I'll tell you.  It's because my birth day is her birth day too and no matter how old I am...she is ALWAYS OLDER!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks #364 for being older than me :) and for being such a great friend...And in the spirit of all my great friends...pictures please!

This first picture was taken at my wedding reception.  Nice white shoes and stockings...
This next batch was so funny that I couldn't just pick one. 
Please note the high tech brace (made of cardboard) and the awesome stretcher. 
Nothing but the best when you decide to take a double black diamond down!





Good times!



Totally tennis!  Sometimes we even manage to get on the courts ourselves!


Thanks #364 for all the fun times, great trips, and good advice.  I know there will be plenty more of both,
and
Happy Birthday!!!!!
You don't look a day over 30 sha!

No comments: