As I have mentioned before when I went to college I met lots of girls from different backgrounds. #352 was one of them. She wasn't from too far away...N.O., but her back ground was different. Let me hit the highlights...
* Went to an all girls school in high school. Very interesting. Let me just say that the primary reason she went to college was not to study, but to meet and talk to boys. I'm not really sure about the all girls/all boys thing. I think that the segregation may create more problems than it help.
* Her parents lived right next to the airport in Kenner. One weekend, we went home with her and stayed at her parents house. Not so relaxing. I don't think I have a fear of airplanes, but everyone that took off and landed, I had visions of it landing right on top of us. And you could hear every single one...all night long...
* On the same weekend, she kept telling us that she was take us "out" to have a blast...teasing us with the line, "We did it all the time in high school and it is a blast." I was thinking Bourbon Street...Pat O'Briens...or maybe even Bart's on the Lake (remember that????), but instead I got Frankie Brenn's. LOL just remembering. Let me just say...cheesy, nasty, men...taking their clothes off. You got it...a strip club. Yikes! That is all I'm going to say other than I took three showers when I got home.
* The thing that I remember the most is that our second semester, #352 "fell in love" with a guy who lived in the dorm next door. Not a problem usually, but the kicker was that he was a different race than she was. I remember hours of talking about all of the things that came with it including...meeting the parents, bi-racial babies, prejudice on both sides etc. etc. etc. Not something that I really had thought about before definitely problems that came along with the love of her life.... Then the next semester, her love moved on and left her heartbroken...and we were on to other things to talk about.
I have not talked to or heard from #352 since the day I moved out of my apartment in Lafayette. She was majoring in speech-language pathology when I left. I wonder if she finished in this... If anyone out there has kept up with her and can help me out....... HMMMM, I wonder.
11 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment