Tuesday, September 14, 2010

#349 - DB

#349 lived across the street from me when I was growing up.  He was a little bit older than me, but was always pretty good about letting me play whatever game they were playing.  And by they, I really mean the boys, because I really was not into make-up or hair or barbies or whatever it was the two girls on my street were doing.  I was much more interested in playing kick the can, running pass routes, or shooting baskets.

My kids don't even know what kick the can is.  I'm not sure that I remember all of the rules, but basically there was a can (or a ball) in the middle of the yard, and someone was "it", and someone would kick the can (ball), and the person who was it would have to go get it and get back to base before the other players did.  Doesn't sound too fun when I type it out, but I remember playing for hours.

This past weekend, I brought my boys outside to try to play "pass routes."  When I say my boys, I mean the three that I gave birth to, the two that actually live next door, but always seem to be at my house, and my husband who had to be recruited when I realized that I cannot throw a football.  (We also had two girls from next door and across the street who alternated between running pass routes and doing cartwheels).  Basically there were 7 pass routes.  10 steps and cut right, 10 steps and cut left, curve around the tree and dive right, across the street behind the electric meter, in the L of the concrete of the yard, the long route around the tree and back, and finally "The BOMB"  You have to catch one at a time and when you miss you have to start over.  After about 20 minutes, the boys were out of breath, Jeff's arm was about to fall off, but every one's competitive drive kicked in and we declared a winner!  This game was made popular by my dad who's favorite pass route was over the roof between the two houses!  Remember D?

The third game was any type of basketball.  H-O-R-S-E, P-U-T-O-U-T, or Hot Shot any time...any day!  We now play this at least once a week either in the driveway or in the pool.

Anyway, back to #349.  Very funny guy and by funny, I mean quirky.  Older than me, so he was always talking a little bit over my head, but I always laughed so he kept telling jokes.  Once he hit high school, he definitely did not have time for us younger kids, but he was always good for a head nod in the hall way or in the cafeteria once I got there too.  At some point, his parents moved out of town, and I have not seen him in years.  He did ask me to be his friend on face book, but I have to admit, I deleted his request. 

Side note - I deleted everyone's request...Don't take it personally, but this blogging every day for the last year has been all I can handle.  Maybe after my b-day I'll switch to face book.  Then again, I may just throw away my computer. 

Anyway, my sister befriended him on FB, and tells me that he now lives in California, has gotten married, and has twins or maybe even triplets.  I know he is a good father because he was always patient with all of us younger kids in the neighborhood.  Thanks #349 for not being too cool to hang with us!

1 comment:

Sarah C. said...

"throw my computer out the window." lol!