Wednesday, September 8, 2010

#343 - DD

One day this girl sent word through a friend of a friend that she was unhappy in her current job and was looking for a change.  She is a Physical Therapist Assistant, and was tired of the long hours and weekend work at the hospital.  My partner and I had never worked with or employed a PTA as it was a relatively new field, but we interviewed her and offered her the job right off the bat.  Smart move on our parts...

To backtrack a little and give you a history of the Physical Therapist Assistant.
The Physical Therapy Practice Act was amended in 1992 (the year I graduated from PT school) to permit the Board to license and regulate Physical Therapist Assistants.  All Physical Therapist Assistants must be graduates of CAPTE accredited physical therapist assistant programs.  It was made clear from the start that a person should not go into a PTA program as a springboard to get into PT school, but it is a degree followed by a licensing exam which allows its recipients to work under a therapist and follow out the plan of care established by the PT.  In simpler words, a PTA is skilled in performing therapy treatments, but cannot evaluate, set up goals for rehab, or discharge a patient from care.  There are more rules involved, but that is the big picture.

Prior to this neither my partner nor I had been trained in what exactly a PTA could do or not do.  Up until that point, I was responsible for doing all of my own treatments from start to finish.  If someone did a great job and was successful with their rehab...I could take the credit.  Likewise, if the patient did not do well, I was solely to blame.  The addition of a PTA to our practice changed the dynamics of some of our patient care, and in my opinion enhanced the service that we can provide.

I will admit to having a pre-conceived notion that if I was going to be on the hook for the patient results, I just as soon do the work myself.  That was before I saw #343 in action.  I will toot her horn here and say that I don't think all PTAs are thought of as highly, but in #343's case, her dedication to her job and to our patients has proved that hiring her was a good decision, many times over.  She is very thorough and takes her time with all patients.  She does not discriminate as to who she wants to treat and not treat (except for a few crazies that come out with the full moon, but I'll grant her those :).  She gives her all each and every day and I want her to know that she is appreciated.  I have worked with some therapists who are not as skilled or as dedicated.

After meeting her parents, I know a lot of the credit goes to them as to how they raised their daughter.  Good people from down in Bayou Gauche who are generous to a fault and will to work hard and totally know how to enjoy the fruits of their labor.  #343 values her family above all else.  She supports her boys in all of their athletic adventures and volunteers for all the extras that goes along with that.

She is also one of my exercise partners (although we have fallen off the wagon a little bit lately).  I can get a little bossy with my exercise routine (which I know will come as a surprise to all of you Lake Austin Spa friends), but #343 is usually on board for whatever I have in mind. One day after a particularly retarded workout (my idea) of plyometrics, stadium running, and 1000 step ups, which I will add rendered us both unable to walk and made us look worse than our patients for a few days, her husband told her, "Do you have to do everything she says?  Why do ya'll do that to yourselves?"  LOL - To this day I am not sure, but it sure makes life interesting doesn't it DD?

I am happy to have had the opportunity to get to know and to work with #343 for the last many years.  A good wife, daughter, daughter in law, mother, PTA, and 1/2 marathon runner (oops, still working on that one).



OK, back on the wagon...I have $200.00 to win! 
See you at the stadium at noon!

No comments: