It was the first year of the 20th century.
In the first great Texas gusher, oil is discovered at Spindletop in Beaumont, Texas.
Baseball's American League declares itself a Major League.
United States President William McKinley begins his 2nd term. Theodore Roosevelt is sworn in as Vice President of the United States.
New York State becomes the first to require automobile license plates ($1 fee).
William S. Harley draws up plans for his first prototype motorcycle.
Female Army Nurse Corps established as a permanent organization
Cadillac Motor Company is founded.
Hubert Cecil Booth patents vacuum cleaner
Winston Churchill makes his maiden speech in the British House of Commons.
Clark Gable, Gary Cooper, and Louis Armstrong were born. And so was Nan.
I can only imagine the things that she experienced in her lifetime. All I know is what she told me and I'm not sure she didn't make some of it up. At her age, I figure she gets some creative license. A hot-air balloon ride at 80 years old is one of the ones I do remember. One funny story about Nan is the time we travelled from LA to CA for a wedding. She came along. The travel involved two planes, two layovers, and two stressed out Gueniots. Also along for the ride was someone you may remember from here. She was Nan's sister in law if I have it correctly, but they argued like sisters. Now # 41 didn't like to exert herself too much and definitely like being taken care of. Her dutiful daughter and son and law arranged for a wheelchair to meet us at every airport and arranged for motorized transportation to and from each gate. Well, the way I remember it... Nan was having none of that. She huffed and proclaimed loudly, "I walk a mile every morning!" as she looked at the wheelchair in disdain (note - she was in her early 90's at the time) and proceeded to take off through the airport. On her own. No idea where she was going. Being
Nan passed away several years ago after having led a long, healthy, and very interesting life. We should all wish for as much. A wonderful lady and always kind to me. Time may have faded my memories, but I remember her being a hoot! I'm sure wherever she is now, she is blazing trails...one mile at a time.

No comments:
Post a Comment