It's funny that this friend came up today, because she has been on my mind. She has been a friend since Kindergarten, but I have to admit, in the last twenty years, our paths have not crossed too many times. This does not mean that I don't think about her however.
From K - 7th grade, I went to a really small school and #203, another girl, and I were really close friends. We would trade off riding the bus home on Fridays to each other's houses for sleep-overs. I remember lots of fun times sleeping over at her house. She had two older brothers that L-O-V-E-D MTV. I did not get to watch this at my house, but I remember they watched for hours. I remember sneaking a peek at all the videos and thinking how bad they were. Now, you have much worse on channel 2 in the middle of the day. I also remember her grandmother teaching me how to play Liverpool and Canasta. I also remember playing baseball with a large balloon and a giggle stick and running to hide in her room when I hit the balloon up and it got stuck on a shelf in her living room. I remember one time we got in a fight. I don't really remember over what, but it had to do with a volleyball game, recess, and I pulled and broke a chain around her neck. Is it too late to say sorry???? I also remember that her dad was a avid Saints' fan. I remember going to mass at the chapel in the hospital at 7 am on Sunday mornings so we could make a noon kick off at the Dome. I also remember going to weekly masses held at her house with special prayer sessions for her dad who died of cancer when we were in elementary school.
Once we got to high school, we sort of went our separate ways. The third friend in our trio went to the local public school, so we only saw her occasionally. I was involved with student council and sports, and #203 was active on the swim team. We stayed friends, but started to drift apart. We got closer again when we both attended the same college and lived in the same dorm. I went into the health field and she majored in elementary education. I know she is a great school teacher because that was always one of her favorite things to play when I went to her house. I ended up moving on to finish school, and she started teaching and had a baby girl. Her baby girl is now is high school.
It is hard to believe so much time has passed. We usually catch up when she comes in for holidays, but only on the surface. I recently heard that her mom is sick which is why I have been thinking about her. My prayers are with her and her mom and her family.
Click here to offer your prayers for #203's mom and all those affected with cancer.
11 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment