Friday, April 16, 2010

#200 - TB

I first met #200 when she was a senior in high school.  She took part in a program where she went to school in the morning and worked in the afternoon.  I could tell right away that she was very responsible even at her young age.  After she graduated, she was offered and accepted a job at our office.  It was not long before she mastered the "busy work" and moved on to more responsibility.  She was just that kind of employee.  She kept moving up and up and surpassed the veteran employees which made me happy, but her co-workers not very happy.  And so it went...  After a few years, she met a guy, got married, supported him while he tried to figure out if he wanted to be a grown up or not...and then came to tell me she was resigning because they were going to move out of town.  Her husband and a "job opportunity" that required the move.  I was upset to lose her, but wished her the best.

Fast forward about five years.  She called me to say that the "job" did not work out for her husband and she needed to return to work because he was unemployed.  She was now trying to support not only him but her young daughter.  We did not have any place for her at the time, but I recommended her to my kids school who was in desperate need of a school secretary.  It turned out to be a perfect fit.  She loved the hours because she was able to get her daughter out of daycare at an earlier time.  I loved her in this position because, true to form, she whipped the school front office into shape in no time.  She computerized files, set up emails, trained staff, etc. etc. etc.  All with a smile even though her marriage was slowly crumbling. 

Fast forward a few more years.  She called to talk to me again.  She had made the decision to leave an abusive marriage and go back to school.  She was looking for something part time so that she could pursue a nursing degree.  I helped as I could, but in the end, she had to make (again) a lot of sacrifices to get it done.  But she did...

I still keep up with her by email several times a year.  She finished her RN degree, she met and married a wonderful grown up man with a job, and her daughter is the light of her life.  I am so happy that she is so happy.

At any part in her life, she could have lay down and cried.  She could have given up and stopped trying.  Instead she put her head down and did what needed to be done.  I admire her and all those like her who understand that there is nothing wrong with hard work and that it always pays off.

To a great girl, and wonderful mother, and a soul-sister!!!!!!!  For those of you who need a little help, click here.  http://www.wikihow.com/Be-a-Hard-Worker

No comments: