#296 is another childhood friend who was part of the annual G.I. trip. It makes me smile now (well not this year, but definitely last year) when our kids are all playing together on the same beach.
On a side note...was it just me or do I remember having to wear my oldest bathing suit and tennis shoes when swimming on the G.I. beach back in the day so I didn't ruin my good suit with tar? Kinda deja vu don't you think?
Anyway, his four kids are all in and around the ages of my boys. His daughter is my go-to girls for son #2's homework needs (Thanks MH!!!), and son #3 benefited from #296's assistant coaching skills this year in baseball. There are lots of good times to remember, but I'll stick to a few highlights...
* #296 and his siblings rode to school with us in the mornings. I remember that my dad usually drove and told us the same joke every morning that went something like this.
Dad - "Hey guys, A train, just passed here."
Us - "Huh???" (still sleeping)
Dad - "Hey guys, A train just passed here. Know how I know?"
#296 - "How?"
Dad - "I can still see his tracks."
#296 - "Ha, Ha, Ha......." (The rest of us stayed sleeping)
Get it?
* #296 always had ear infections growing up and his mom was diligent about ear plugs for all time spent in the water. I think we spent as much time keeping track of ear plugs as we did swimming.
* After all the hard playing we did on the water, our parents would always try to get us to take naps (i.e. leave them alone for a few hours) in the afternoons. I remember one time #296 was sleeping so hard that he fell out of the hammock, onto the cement floor, and did not wake up.
#296 is a few years older than me, but always has the time for a smile and some words. I am thankful for all the help that he gives to our kids school. He has served on the Advisory Council for many years, and brings common sense to some meetings that can really get out of control. I also want to thank him for always answering my phone calls to be the games chairman for the annual Spring Fling. Give him a bullhorn, and let the fun begin. And lastly, I want to thank he and his family for being later to 10:30 mass than us, at least half the time. It is either he and his crew, or me and mine, marching up to the front row, which they reserve for all the late-comers. Whenever we are together, there are smiles all around and I hope we can be back at the beach with our families before too long.
11 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment