Thursday, July 1, 2010

#274 - SS

This post is for one of my old roommate's moms.  She makes the blog because she made me laugh every time she use to call to talk to her daughter.  Let me give you an example:

Ring, Ring, Ring (phone ringing...get it?)

I would answer, "Hello"

#274 - "Is my daughter there?"

Me - "Oh, Hi, Ms. SS!  This is Monique.  She's no....."  (I was going to say "She's not here right now, can I take a message?"  Just like my mamma taught me)

#274 - Click!

End of conversation!

First time it happened, I thought we must have just lost the connection.  Fiftieth time it happened, I thought it was me.  One hundredth time it happened, I told my roomie,  "I think your mom is mad at me because she keeps hanging up on me."  My roommate just laughed and said that it wasn't me, she did it to her also.  She said that when her was finished talking, she just would hang up instead of saying goodbye or listening to what the person on the other end of the line was saying.

"Why?"  I asked. 
"I have no idea," she said. 

It wasn't that she was mad or even that she didn't want to talk to me...it was just that when she was finished, she was finished. 

Well from that point, it was "GAME ON!"  My goal each time she called was to prolong the conversation as long as I possibly could before telling her that her daughter was not there.  Then I would try to hang up before her. 
LOL - I wonder if she knew?

Funny ending to this story...Not long ago, I started to treat #274 at my office.  It has been years since I lived with her daughter and to tell you the truth, I had kinda forgotten about our fun phone talks.  Then one day, I called to talk to her at home to find out how she was feeling.  We talked for awhile, and then when I was about to finish up the conversation with, "OK, #274, I'll see you tomorrow,"  I heard the Click!    Almost 20 years later and it still made me laugh!

No comments: