Thursday, July 15, 2010

#288 - SP

Who knows a know-it-alls  Those dudes who walk around and act like women are stupid and don't know how to do anything.  I will say for the record that my husband does not fit this bill and neither does my father.  This being said, I am pretty confident in the things that I can do.  The things that I do not know how to do, I have no problem asking for help.  But...from time to time I run into one of THOSE guys who are not aware that I know what I know.

Case in point is blog post #288.  He is a parent whose children use to attend the same school as my kids.  He and I first met when he volunteered to chair the electrical portion of our annual spring festival.  I, unfortunately, was the chairman of the entire event which meant that he answered to me.  He obviously took offense to the fact that I was a female, and I was questioning him on things that he felt like he could not be bothered with.  After the initial face to face meeting with him where I outlined the things that I needed him to handle for me (generators for space walks, electricity by the french fryer, etc.), he mostly avoided my calls.  The few times that he did deign to call me back, he basically let me know in so many words that he had it covered and I didn't need to worry my pretty little head about it.  WHATEVER!

Anyway, the day of the event dawned, and guess what????  #288 was not prepared.  He was all about following me around and asking me, where the plug ins were for this and where he was supposed to lay the wiring for that.  I totally could not deal with him that day and after a few sharp words to him to work it out, I basically left him on his own.  I mean, what do I know?  I'm just a girl...all I know about it is that you flip the light switch up and the light goes on, and then down for lights off. 

Long story short, at the end of the day, #288 blew the fuse in the back shed, shorted out the wires at the rectory, fried the brand-spanking new sound system that I had just gotten my buds at Sams to set up at no cost to the school.  Oh wait, I'm not finished, he also blew up another family's donated karaoke machine and left us with no power to run the space walks or fry the fries.  It gets me fired up just remembering the entire day.

Thank you to all my friends at Sams who got our sound system fixed for no charge.  Thanks to the family who accepted their fried karaoke machine back with a smile (kinda).  Thank you to the priest who took it in stride that he no longer had a porch light.  And last but not least, thanks to another dad (who is not a know-it-all) for figuring out a back up fry plan.  No thank yous for #288.  He has moved on to another city and another school now, and I'm sure has found another capable female to demean.  I'm sure he thought it was all my fault anyway.

No comments: