#279 is a friend of mine from childhood who battled and won a round with cancer a few years ago. She is a little younger than me, and I always thought of her that way. I haven't seen her very much in the last twenty years, so she is kinda stuck in my mind as just younger...when in actuality she is a grown woman with a husband, children of her own, and a career. Her strength of character came through in a daily blog that she created that chronicled her fight with cancer. She is a brilliant writer. Her blog was funny, touching, and truly showed the struggle that she and her family went through. Her posts touched on her medical updates, the struggle she had trying to still be "mom" while fighting for her life, and her new appreciation for life after having to contemplate the alternative. I talked to her dad a few months ago and he assured me that all is well and that she is still in remission. She is back to doing all the things that she loves...things that we do and don't even take the time to reflect on what a blessing it is to be able to do these things. Vacation, tennis, work, carpool, cooking dinner, doing homework...If any of you out there have forgotten that these things are a blessing, take some time and read back on her blog. I just did and it really puts things into perspective quickly.
http://www.jennyrunkel.com/
One other really cool thing about #279, is that she and her husband co-founded a company that has produced books, TV shows, radio shows, and talks on the lecture circuit. Her husband has been on the TODAY show several times with relationship advice. The company is called ScreamFree and is all about relationships and parenting. Her husband's first book was called Scream Free parenting and can be bought through their website, on Amazon, or at BAM. They have expanded from parenting into Scream Free marriages, holidays, and many other areas of relationships.
Click here to view their site.
Click here to view his book on Amazon.
All in all, I am so proud of her. She has made a great life for herself and has grown into a wonderful woman. I wished she lived closer because I know that our friendship would have continued as adults. As she has said many times in her blog, you never know what the future may hold, and with this in mind, who is to say that our paths will not cross again.
11 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment